Mortgage Job Application Questions
(OVERVIEW): The Counselor helps homebuyers overcome the roadblocks that prevent them from qualifying for a mortgage and purchasing a home. S/he ensures effective and timely communication, explains requirements, requests necessary documents, and determines readiness for homeownership and an affordable mortgage payment for each Member. The Counselor also works with the Member to address and improve their financial management. Additional counseling is provided to homeowners with an unaffordable mortgage through NACA’s HomeSave program.
1. What does “economic justice” mean to you?*
3. What do you think caused the housing crisis beginning in 2008?*
4. Do you think a mortgage should require a down payment? Explain why.*
5. If you were given ten billion dollars to create your own mortgage product, who would it be designed for and what would the basic criteria be? For example, will there be limits for loan to value, a minimum credit score, down payment, etc and what would the limits be?*
6. Describe other criteria other than the credit score that you would use to determine a homebuyer’s readiness for homeownership.*
7. What makes you a good fit for this position? Describe your understanding of what this position entails, your qualifications, experience and what motivated you to apply.*
8. How do you believe your current skills will contribute to the accomplishment of NACA’s mission and advocacy? In your answer also include what is the most important aspect that attracts you to NACA and why.*
9. Explain your counseling experience, the types of counseling, and how your counseling experience relates to this position.
10. Explain a Housing Ratio and Debt Ratio.*
11. Describe your customer service skills and how you utilized and developed them in your current and past employment.*
12. If you see a customer who comes into the office without an appointment and all of the staff are busy except one who refuses to see them, what would you do?*
13. Describe your writing, presentation and oral communication skills, as well as your ability to synthesize and translate complicated information into clear and compelling language. Describe where you have used these that effectively demonstrate these skills.*
14. Explain your experience and comfort level in making presentations to large number of people.*
15. Describe your level of comfort with math, working with numbers and performing data analysis. In your answer please include any related experience and skills.*
16. In your prior work experience, did it require significant computer skills? Explain your level of computer proficiency including typing speed and accuracy.*
17. Describe your time management and organizational skills. What are your time management techniques and how would you apply them to meet production and customer service requirements with a large pipeline of customers requiring appointments, follow-up, returned phone calls, emails and crucial deadlines? Provide examples of prior jobs where you used or developed these skills.*
18. Since this position combines both counseling for low and moderate income people, advocacy, and mortgage origination, how would you accomplish these activities while closing a significant number of loans?*
19. Describe your evaluation of your professional strengths and any skills you would like to improve.
20. How would you evaluate your performance and what would you consider successful performance?