Assignment 2—Public Health Issues and Future Generations
As discussed throughout this course, there are many factors that contribute to the success of an effective public health response. A prompt response, accurate documentation of the event, and communication with both personnel and the public are intertwined. Once the event has passed the critical stage and disaster recovery begins, a thorough evaluation needs to be completed to reflect on what went well and what did not. These evaluations will provide crucial information to public health professionals to improve performance for the next disaster.
You have learned more about public health issues, environmental factors, behavioral health and wellness, immunization, and social determinants of health. In this assignment, you will research and develop a PowerPoint presentation to address the future of public health and the implications of public health issues for future generations.
Select a current public health issue. You can select an issue addressed in this course or one of your choice (e.g., chronic diseases, immunization, obesity, heart disease, and/or an environmental issue). Identify at least five scholarly resources (peer-reviewed references) to support your assertions. Analyze the current status of your selected issue to determine how this issue will impact the future of public health including the implications for future generations and public health involvement.
Include the following in your presentation:
· Describe the problem and how the issue has been addressed. List the advantages and disadvantages of the method(s) used to address it. Explore how you might handle these components and include three reasonable approaches to address the issue.
· Discuss the future of public health and how your selected issue will affect the people of the United States.
· Describe how this situation might be handled in a different manner. Recommend ways by which public health involvement can improve handling of the issue in future occurrences and identify some examples to change the status quo
· Support your statements using scholarly literature and evidence-based information from at least five authoritative resources.
· Be sure to state major points clearly and support with specific details, examples, or analysis.
Develop a 15–20-slide presentation on this issue.
Dickey, R. W., Rotkin-Ellman, M., & Solomon, G. (2012). FDA risk assessment of seafood contamination after the BP oil spill/FDA risk assessment of seafood contamination after the BP oil spill: Rotkin-Ellman and Solomon respond. Environmental Health Perspectives, 120(2), A55–A56. (ProQuest Document ID: 928055105)
Murray, K. O., Walker, C., & Gould, E. (2011). The virology, epidemiology, and clinical impact of West Nile virus: A decade of advancements in research since its introduction into the western hemisphere. Epidemiology and Infection, 139(6), 807–817. doi: 10.1017/S0950268811000185. (ProQuest Document ID: 865912268)
· Cite all sources using the APA format.
· Name your document SUO_PHE4095_W5_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.ppt.
· Submit your presentation to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.